Friday, January 13, 2012

New Year, New Resolutions

by Jennifer Wemhoff, Program Manager

Ah, January.  The start of a new year.  A clean slate for all those changes we hope to make.

The Chamber of Commerce website lists the following popular New Year’s resolutions:
  • Drink Less Alcohol
  • Eat Healthy Food
  • Get a Better Education
  • Get a Better Job
  • Get Fit
  • Lose Weight
  • Manage Debt
  • Manage Stress
  • Quit Smoking
  • Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
  • Save Money
  • Take a Trip
  • Volunteer to Help Others
While these are all great things, my personal New Year’s resolutions are much simpler:
  • Floss more.
  • Keep my kitchen table clutter free.
  • Get back to being a regular blood donor.
Last, but certainly not least:
  • Conserve water.
I wouldn’t say my household is a “water waster” by any means, but I know there are things we can do better.  You may have read last week’s blog about our new five-minute shower timers.  I resolve to use this every day, and encourage my husband to do the same.  While we don’t generally water our lawn regularly in the spring and summer, I know we can be more efficient when it may be necessary; the same with watering the garden.  For example, watering in the morning or evening to minimize evaporation.  Another way I plan to save – collecting the water used for rinsing fruits and vegetable and using it to water my potted plants.  See more ways to conserve.

How about you?  Is water anywhere on your resolution list? 

No comments: